Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Apr 1997 12:32:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:         SyncroHead@aol.com
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Vent Control Positions

Mark wrote: >Volks, >Have 87GL w/rear heater and no manual, only the Bentley which can't help >me. I need someone to tell me the position of all four knobs for maximum >COLD! Down here in the Houston Area just the wafting of heat from >anywhere is of concern, and I have figured out exactly how to ensure all >vent controls are in maximum cold, meaning for use with A/C, that is no >hot water in front or rear heater cores and no HOT Texas outside air >getting in. I understand the bottom two control knobs on the four >vent/heater controls are for the rear heater, someone tell me how to >position the entire vent/heater panel to ensure the A/C will be most >efficient on recycle mode. >Regards >Mark B. Magee >87GL 80K

The WINDSHIELD AIR FLOW is controlled by the top (#1) lever. Left is closed, right is open. (There's a little windshield symbol attempting to depict this.)

The AIR TEMPERATURE is controlled by the 2nd lever. Left is no heat, right is maximum heat.

The FOOTWELL AIR FLOW is controlled by the 3rd lever. Left is open, right is closed. (There's a little arrow pointing down, implying air DOWN there)

The REAR CEILING AIR FLOW is controlled by the bottom (#4) lever. Left is open, right is closed. Rear ceiling air is not heated. (Again, there's a little picture trying to convey this.)

The DASH AIR FLOW is controlled directly on each dash vent. Up is closed, down is open. Dash air is NOT heated in 87 & older vans. Dash air can be heated (lever #2) on 88 & newer vans. (Some late 87 vans had the dash heat.)

The DOOR "VENTS" are air exit vents that allow air to exit the van when opened. Forward is open, rearward position is closed. (This applies only to 87 & older vans. 88 & newer have air exits at the back end of the rear-side windows that are allways open)

Colors are used in the vent symbols as follows: Blue is cold. Red is hot. White is variable from cold to hot. Thus the rear ceiling vent symbol is blue, depicting that only cold air is available there.

All of these air vent controls operate independently except that closing one air outlet will naturally cause more air to flow from the open vents.

Note that NONE of the levers control as an "OR" function like: left for dash air - OR - right for foot air. They are all just simple open & close of one device only.

There are no "Recirculate" controls. If you want air flow, it must come in from outside the van. If you want NO air flow, just close each vent independently.