Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Apr 1997 07:26:16 +0900
From:         Scott Atkinson <Scott.Atkinson@per.dwr.csiro.au>
Subject:      Re: Sluggish 90

Hi Edward

I have a 90 which has done 145,000 km and is doing EXACTLY the same thing. I have also check and replaced the same items to no avail.

It seems to me that the good cold running and sluggish hot would point to something temp dependant. Maybe the O2 sensor that we hear so much about.

But mine is not consistant. Sometimes it's fine hot, which may point to the air flow flap being sticky (read about it some time ago).

It seems that the flap is the cheapest to start with. All we need is one of the gurus to tell us how. HELP!

Scott 90 Vanagon Auto(Caravelle in Australia)

At 11:32 15/04/97 -0500, you wrote: >GO FIGURE > >I noticed on the trip back to Chicago from Ft. Myers at spring break >that I was getting a little smoke off the engine from oil. >Investigating, found it was the tube from the crank case to the air >intake on the top of the engine (about 1 inch diameter and 8 inches >long). There was a gash wide open about 2 inches long. > >Anyhow, I replaced it, and now the engine is more sluggish than ever. >There seems to be enough power at the higher revs, but response is >really poor. I have read threads re spark plug gaps and vacuum >hoses/connections. The one odd thing is that my engine has great >response when cold, but at operating temp, it feels like a turbo--- lots >of lag. > >Any ideas cherished. > >Ed >90 Carat, 112k > >PS- has new cap, rotor, Bosch plugs from dealer @030 gap. > Scott Atkinson Computer Systems Manager CSIRO Division of Water Resources Email: Scott.Atkinson@per.dwr.csiro.au Private Bag Phone: +61-9-387 0206 +61-041 904 3422 PO Wembley WA 6014 Fax: +61-9-387 8211 Australia Web: http://www.dwr.csiro.au

From a brochure of a car rental firm in Tokyo. When passenger of foot heave in sight, tootle the horn. Trumpet him melodiously at first, but if he still obstacles your passage then tootle him with vigour.