Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Apr 1997 07:37:02 -0700
From:         "R. A. \"Pete\" SELLERS" <sellersp@midmonet.net>
Subject:      Re: Add-A-Room

> david radcliff wrote: > Like always theres more to this than I thought.

There always is ... These units were designed for the bigger rigs. The sellers (no puns, please) realized that with a bit of omitted advertising, they could get into another market. And here I am .... ;(

> Meanwhile Ive gotten request from other listees to forward to them any > responses I receive. May I send them your reply?

think I have caused the response to be posted to the LIST but yes, you may forward my response on to others. I've been helped by so many from this list. The opportunity to return the courtesy is rare and, indeed, an obligation to a 'family'.

> Many Thanks (just how bad do the fasteners on the side look?)

After-the-fact, we considered ... perhaps VELCRO-type strips may have worked as well, if not better. They could have been color-coordinated and would have been less apparent. They would not have required penetrating the vehicle's skin. (Monday-morning quarterbacking).

There are about a dozen fasteners. The most noticeable are in the middle of the passenger door and rear panel (near the back hatch). Other than one realizes they should not be there, they could easily be ignored.

As I mentioned before, mine have been on for about 2 years. I'm starting to see blistering and some rust. 8=(

Additionally, I'm realizing that VW did not do a great job on the entire paint surface of this vehilce. We're gonna try to live with the nuisance of all this through this summer and am planning to have the van placed in "restoration-care" after our big vacation. The fastners, paint problems and other minor work will be done then to get a 'newly-cleaned' look.

Regards, -- Pete SELLERS - sellersp@midmonet.net (573) 774-1895 - FAX: (573) 336-5128 P. O. Box 907, FLW, MO 65473 '74 THING (Pete's 'Play' THING) '93 EUROVAN (the CONESTOGA)