Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Apr 1997 15:52:38 -0700
From:         Redwood <redwood@speedlink.com>
Subject:      Twiga has new shoes [Tires]

Hi Volks,

Just an update on the tire situation. I had chosen to get the Yokohama 370 LT tires recommended by several on this list, but found them unavailable---as previously posted, either back-ordered wth a delay of 6-8 wks; or superseded by Model Y356 LT, supposedly the same as Y370 except for a change in tread pattern; or, to be replaced sometime soon by a completely new tire.

Well, as mentioned before, the tires I had were so inadequate that it seemed to me too risky to wait, so I decided to take the Y356s. America's Tire Co. in Sacramento had to order them but had them in in 48hrs, and charged $69.95 each plus stems, balancing, etc, which includes lifetime rotations and balancing. They gave me some trade-in for the one tire I had that was new, so the total, with warranty, came out to about $358.

btw, while listees recommend inflations of approx 45 psi front and 53 rear, the guy at America's Tire insisted that 40 front and rear was best for daily driving, and recommended going up to 45 & 50, *maybe*, "if you really load it up for a camping trip." I mention this because he also pointed out that the warranty would not apply if the tires werrn't used as recommended, "for example, if they were overinflated." I don't know how seriously to take any of this. It seemed to me that the specs allowed for higher inflation to correspond with weight load. One thing he seemed to be implying was that running front and rear at different inflations might have some implications for differences in tire wear, which might then have some significance related to rotation.

If anyone wants to shed any light on this, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, I thought I'd just share my experience as a kind of update.

Happy vanning,

Gail

__________________________ Gail Fitzpatrick '87 GL Westi, 117k [Twiga] Sacramento, CA <redwood@speedlink.com>