Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Apr 1997 18:26:46 -0500
From:         "Randy Newell" <rnewell@epower.net>
Subject:      Re: Recalls, Etc,

My 86 GL is scheduled to have the fuel tank replaced from a open recall at VW's expense. All I did was have the dealer run for open recalls, I did have to go to two different dealers, the first replaced the fuel lines (had to take it back the next morning because it was leaking a river of gas) and said that he didn't know what the other two that where showing up were,... and that they probably not important, well after considering the usual amount of trust that I have in these so called "VW experts" :( I went for a second opinion. Told the second dealer that I was tired of being put off and said that I wasn't going to just go away, he said that I was to get a new fuel tank and repairs to my AC air ducts. So he ordered the parts, and hopefully they will do a better job then the first dealer did on my oil seal and clutch ( had to go back for this too, oil seal still leaked and my clutch has not been the same sense they touched it the first time, they say I need to replace my slave and master cylinders, but it worked fine before they replaced my "oil soaked" clutch that worked just fine after I let the air out of it that the PO's mechanic left in it when it was replaced 10K ago. I haven't had time yet to do this, but I have the parts and I hope for their sake that it works when I'm done or I will be back to raise the roof in their little establishment ) :( ( sorry to run-on so much but these guys suck! ) seems like the only repairs that come out right are the ones that I did myself. I'm to the point now that I won't let anyone work on it UNLESS I REALLY don't have what I need to do the job myself AND I'm watching them work, and having my doubts about that. Need to get more tools, I can't afford for them to "fix" my baby anymore, they seem to make two or three more problems just to fix one. I will keep all of you guys and gals posted on the results of my big mess. I sure I will have some dealers to blackball, I just want to give them reasonable amount of time to redeem themselves, or enough rope to hang themselves with,...

Randy Newell 86 GL (139K and running great, no thanks to the mechanics) :) rnewell@epower.net