Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Apr 1997 02:03:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:         Gcarlen@aol.com
Subject:      Burning Magnesium Engines

The question came up a couple of weeks ago about what kind of gasses are given off when a VW aluminum/magnesium engine burns. I said I would check my resources at my firestation and get back to the list. Well, I finally got the answer.

The main properties that are burning, Aluminum and Magnesium, give off mainly Hydrogen and Nitrogen (I'll get back to how Hydrogen affects things later). They also give off particles of Aluminum and Magnesium in a microscopic size (which can be lethal in itself if inhaled). In addition, the burning of fluids accessories and rubber give off various gasses that are generally bad for humans. The carpeting (should it catch fire) gives off, among other things, Phosgene. Now, how does all this affect us (and fire-fighters)?

Well, because Hydrogen is flammable and Magnesium burns at such a fast rate, the temperature of the fire is higher than most engine fires. Also, since Magnesium is a burning metal, it is not easily put out by water. A special chemical is needed to extinquish burning metals. So, just by the nature of the engine, they are difficult to extinquish.

Other factors: The bumpers on later model Vans have shocks that absorb impact in accidents (as do most modern cars). Approaching a van directly from the rear is not a safe way to extinquish a fire. If the shocks that are behind the bumper explode, they will propell the bumper with enough force to break legs.

Also, Phosgene gas is extremely poisenous. In a slightly different concentration, it is used as a chemical agent in chemical warefare. (VERY bad stuff) This Phosgene, by the way, is one of the reasons why a smoke filled room in a house is so deadly.

So, not only are they hard to extinquish, they are dangerous to approach and potentially deadly to be near.

Gregg Carlen, Burke Volunteer Fire & Rescue Department, Burke, VA 85 Westy (144k) 76 Goldwing 51 Plymouth 75 Mercedes 69 Alcort ...need more toys!