Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         17 Apr 97 02:44:05 EDT
From:         "Clark M. Carr" <75716.763@CompuServe.COM>
Subject:      Group-41 deep cycle gel-cel battery  -payback.

Greetings fellow Listees,

Its payback time. After getting so much help from everyone, and realizing how much dosh I've saved for so many things I didn't go to the dealer for, I'm happy to say I have a little something to share back. The subject is the elusive choice for a second or auxiliary battery...

When I got my Westy, both batteries were shot and I immediately replaced them with two new automotive batteries. I learned that the specifications and size for the battery that goes under-your-seat, and has recessed posts that don't extend beyond the top of the case, is called a "group 41". These are not too hard to come by in a regular automotive battery. In fact, I bought two from Sears the day after I picked up the camper in Pennsylvania. What I didn't know was that after three weeks on our camping trip both batteries would be absolutely ruined. I was deeply discharging both batteries every two or three days and then driving a long day and then doing it again, etc. Etc. Later when I was getting my battery education, (much from the list) I learned that this is about as bad a thing as you can do to a car battery. Pretty much useless in about three weeks to be exact.

After going through all the archives and asking around a lot it became obvious that the ideal solution would be to find a "group 41" Gel-cell or marine battery. This would have the ability to recover better from deep discharging and would fit in the under seat space readily. From the heated thread last year and through all the archives it was clear no-one could find one. There was one message from someone who had an old Sonnenschein Gel battery that was Group 41 but they had learned that Sonnenschein had discontinued making it. Also in the archives, forgive me please, were all these half baked solutions that used smaller batteries or had you removing battery brackets, or drilling holes or grinding the top posts off some too tall and skinny package, yuck!

OK, OK, so two months of phone calls later I found it. Sonnenschein is making it again but either the US operation or all of Sonnenschein is now owned or repped by what I think is a division of the Exide Company called Interaction Batteries Corp. They have now imported a few into the country that can be ordered from dealers. It's called a A2000 Series Dryfit and the specific model is a A212/50A. Here are their claims from their brochure:

Sealed Battery: Uses a totally sealed recombinant system. There are no corrosive acid fumes or potential for electrolyte spillage.

Deep Discharge Protected: Defined by stating that after 29 days of deep discharge, a battery must demonstrate successful recharge within 48 hours, utilizing a constant voltage recharge of 2.3 volts per cell. The loss in the batteries normal capacity shall not exceed 25% and this loss shall be regained after several cycles.

Low self discharge: "Dryfit batteries have the lowest self-discharge rate of any battery in the industry." Specifications state that intermittent use or storage have little effect for periods up to 24 months at ambient temperature of 20 deg. Celsius.

Cycle life: The A200 is designed to fully deliver 400, 50% discharge cycles.

Independent of position: OK to use in any position as there is no electrolyte present to leak out of the cell. Each cell is sealed and provided with a one-way safety vent set to 1.5 PSI for the release of any excess gas.

Temperature range: -30 Celsius to 50 Celsius

The specifications for the A212/50A are listed as:

Part number: 08 1 90680 30 Model: A212/50A Nominal Voltage: 12 Amp-hour Capacity at 20 deg. Celsius: 50 Max Amps: 400 Length: 10.94" Width: 6.89" Height: 6.89" Weight: 39 lb.

This represents much better performance and more raw power than any other alternative I discovered provided you want to leave the alternate battery under the driver's seat.

I purchased two of them since I also tend to drain the primary/starter battery because my stereo and the rear light still take power from the primary. (Maybe someone could help me determine a good place to pick up these wires for the re-routing job? :)) Both batteries are working fine and I did not even concern myself about having enough juice on our recent 5 day skiing trip with the vented heater running on low all the time to keep the water tanks from freezing.

Oh yeah, there is DEFINATELY a catch, a BIG catch! These puppy's are way expensive. In fact, including UPS ground shipping I laid out $360 for the two of them. At $180 each they better outlast the body panels or I'll be miffed. Alas, the truth is for the type of camping I like to do they have already paid for themselves in non-realized aggravation. Still, I haven't completely forgotten about adding a couple of solar panels to the top but you'd know it would require a second mortgage if you had recently priced solar panels.

Order info: Interaction batteries is in Meriden, Connecticut at 203 634-1009. I found that beyond being a little standoffish about price they treated me well and were helpful.

I think that between my two long messages I've exceeded my quota for usable list space. Sorry if anyone had to wade through my gibberish.

Disclaimer: I don't have any affiliation with any of these companies and I don't care if you buy their products. The above information was provided because it seemed there was an interest among the list members.

Kind regards, -Clark 90 Westfalia - "Hilly" short for Hilda

pacocarr@mcimail.com