Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Apr 1997 03:11:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:         JordanView@aol.com
Subject:      Re: Misc

In a message dated 97-04-17 02:03:57 EDT, cankeny@andcor.com (Chuck Ankeny) writes:

<< Last year I tried (with the help of my Official VW Vanagon manual) to remove the center two seats from my 86 Syncro Vanagon 7 passenger. I found that there was some type of heavy duty channel that the seats slid on but could not see how they could be removed entirely without removing the channel also. There is a wood insert on top of the metal floor pan inbetween the seats and the sliding door. The wood piece appears to be one piece covering the entire floor pan except where the middle seats are. >>

What do you mean by the"center two seats"? The middle seat? Removing the middle seat is incredibly easy. All you do is rip, or get some scissors or a bucknife and cut the carpet in a line to the sliding door, and pull out the foamboard....

What?... Isn't that what everybody else has done?? :<)

I have seen QUITE a few 7 pass Vans that have had the carpet torn by ignorant PO's because they didn't take the time to use common sense.

Here's the proper proceedure for removing the center seat. And yes, it IS incredibly easy.

-remove the aluminum sliding door threshold. (small phillips head) -remove the backseat kickpanel, or carefully pull the carpet out from underneath it. -from the drivers side, lift up the carpet and start rolling it to the sliding door. The carpet is split to straddle the middle seat, so roll it out from underfrom the front of the middle seat, and then roll it out from under the back of the middle seat. -after the carpet is out, pull out the foamboard insulation ( Oh, and it ain't a piece of wood either....) from between the middle seat and the sliding door. - unbolt the seat from the track (don't unbolt the track from the floor - just the seat from the track) until it slides. slide it out. (you may need the help of a gorilla, as that sucker is heavy...)

that's it. Rocket science, folks, indeed.

as far as a swivel seat - get that out of a junked westfalia.

and as far as foglites, I'm not sure what country you're from, but here in the US you can have foglites on just about anything. Depending on your local laws, you may have to wire your fogs to shut off when Hi beams go on, but usually it isn't a issue.

chris