Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Apr 1997 22:43:07 -0700 (MST)
From:         vanbondo@primenet.com (jim ellis)
Subject:      Paranormal VW story in AZ Republic newspaper (f)

By Thomas Ropp Copyright, Phoenix Newspapers, Inc., 1997. The Arizona Republic (602)271-5656 code 1144. 4/15/1997

It's not exactly "Christine" but VW has spirit

Sandy Devalk of Chandler (Arizona) (ed.) is not an avid believer in the supernatural. But something happened to her daughter, Kim, 10 years ago that still mystifies her. "Kim was a teenager then," Devalk says, "and we bought her a used orange Volkswagen." Which she called Herbie. Of course. Devalk purchased the car from a widow who had owned Herbie for many years. One day, Kim drove thier dog, a cocker spaniel named Sebastian, to get groomed. While she was waiting for the dog, she heard a blasting sound outside. Kim left the dog groomer's to investigate. Turned out the nasty sound was coming form Herbie, whose horn was stuck. As hard as she tried to unstick the horn, Kim couldn't get it to stop. "When Kim got home, she told me about the horn going off," Devalk says. "It dodn't stop until she got close to home, and then it stopped all by itself." That evening, Devalk was reading the newspaper and took a few seconds to scan the obituaries. She was surprised to see a name she recognized: The woman who had originally owned Herbie had passed away. Her funeral service had been held that very afternoon. Then Devalk notice something else, which sent a chill down her spine. The service had been held at a motuary across the street from the dog groomer's. "I called Kim into the room and said, 'Oh oh you're not going to beilive this' " Herbie's horn had gone berserk at the same time the funeral service of the former owner was being held a stone throw's away. "I don't know how you explain something like that," Devalk said. "I guess maybe you never do."

==End=Story====================== Call me a cynic <No don't> but off the top of my head I can think of at least three or four ways that I coulda stopped that mutha of a horn and ruined the story. ;-) Can *you* diagnose why the horn went off in the first place? -ellis\ =================================