Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Apr 1997 13:14:11 -0400
From:         Steve_Davis@mtvalleyhs.sad43.k12.me.us (Steve Davis)
Subject:      syncro problem index?

Hey Folks, I'm looking at a syncro in my area and I need some advice. I'm trying to figure out the possible problems I might encounter while owning one of these machines. I've read alot of info on the head problems on all vanagons, but what about the syncro drivetrain? A local owner said that the cv's go all the time, do other owners have the same experience? A vanagon dealer I talked to also said that 90% of the syncros that went thru his organization needed tranny work or replacement. Do list folks feel the same? What about the viscous couplings? They have been mentioned on the list as a $4000 fix but does it go often or just in a blue moon? I'm also looking for advice on what to look at when test driving a syncro. I looked at the Westphalia syncro page and read some interesting stuff there but I can use all the info I can find. Thanks for all the good info I've already received from this list and I hope to hear from you soon.

Stephen Davis Hopeful Owner 87 Syncro This message sent using the FirstClass SMTP/NNTP Gateway for Mac OS.