Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Apr 1997 15:47:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:         SyncroHead@aol.com
Subject:      Re: Batteries: Optima vs Gp 41...was Re: Group-41 deep cycle

In a message dated 97-04-18 00:51:29 EDT, redwood@speedlink.com (Redwood) writes:

> Ron Lussier posted the specs to the Optima a couple of days ago, and the > full article is on his website at: > http://www.vanagon.com/beethoven/electrical.html > > I tried to compare the two lists of specs side by side, but was not able to > interpret fully. It does seem that the Gp 41 is 1" shorter than the > Optima, so no cutting *might* be required to fit it in under the driver's > seat.

There's no cutting or grinding required for the Optima. Just mount it on it's side so that the"top" posts face forward.

>I found the Optima battery online at a couple of places. Best price > was a plce called desertrat.com in Arizona [800.528.3402], $167.95 including > S/H delivered to CA. > > Their website, http://desertrat.com/optimbat/optima.htm

In California Optima batteries can be found at Car Custom in Azusa (818-334-4951) and also at 4 Wheel Parts Wholsalers (Gardena location 310-323-5337) - a chain with several locations. I think Car Custom might only carry the standard Optima "starting" batteries (about $130.) while I've seen the Optima Deep Cycle batteries at 4 Wheel Parts Wholsalers. (They're name is "Wholsalers" but they do retail business)

> has a good discussion w/ pictures of the Optima. The price is actually > $129.99. Shipping might differ to other places, and we are talking about > 46.1 lbs.

This price is NOT for the Deep Cycle battery. The Deep Cycle runs more, about $160-$170 I think.

Regards, Jim Davis 87 GL Syncro 88 GL Wolfsburg (with an Optima battery)