Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 Apr 1997 10:18:35 -0300 (ADT)
From:         smitht@unb.ca (Tim Smith)
Subject:      Re: My Apologies too/Bench Seat

my apologies too, for rants and raves.

Back to seats, the bench _will_ just fit, but even though I've done this with mine I have never put the bench in a second time. Just not worth the hassles when trying to get lunch on the road or grab a drink, and having to take it outside at campsites etc. Also getting into the rear seat is essentially impossible for anyone, inc children.

If you want to try something which I think is more practical try to get a look at an early 70's Westy and check out the rear facing seat. They can be mounted behind the front passengers seat, using fat sheet metal screws into the wood floor panel with a sheet metal backing plate (not really secure!) I did this in one vanagon. You get a huge storage area under the seat (or porta-potti closet), and another behind the seat back. Seat belt anchor for front passenger can hold half of the rear facing lap belt, other half must be drilled/bolted through the pillar with seatbelt grade hardware. You will have to peel back the bottom 6" of trim vinyl and find a 2" diameter plastic cover that lets you get inside the pillar. Drill well below this hole for the belt mount, and use BIG washers to back it up on both sides. You can get the nut, your fingers and a wrench in via the 2" hole. This is not a seat I'd want to be in in event of a major crash.

This keeps 'full' floor space, works with both the tables and gives the cook a place to sit/work. It also comes out with 6 screws in a minute. Does not require cutting etc. the carpet. The 2 seater bench on the other hand is about as useful as those in a city bus. Hope this helps.

bye, Tim