Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Apr 1997 22:27:08 -0500 (CDT)
From:         cmoran@cswnet.com (Colin A Moran)
Subject:      High Idle

Hello fellow listies I just wanted to thank the list as a whole. You have saved me money yet again. I have had a problem with the idle on my '86, it idled at about 2000 rpm. It started doing this out of the blue. My van has always had a high idle usually about 1100 to 1200 rpm. It kinda bothered me but was not enough of a problem to warrant troubleshooting. After reading the archives and several of the testing procedures wiritten by brilliant individuals (you know who you are!!) I found several causes each of which reduced the rpm back to the factory spec of 880 +-50 rpm. I now have an idle speed of 900 rpm and it is rock steady. With the lists help I found the following problems.

1. Dirty connections on the idle stabilizer control unit. 2. Dirt and crap inside the idle stabilizer valve. 3. Incorrectly adjusted limiting screw on the throttle valve. 4. Throttle valve switch not closing at idle. 5. Dirty connection of O2 sensor.

When the high idle first started, I thought I was going to have to replace the O2 sensor. With the lists help and a little elbow grease I have curred the problem. Thank you all again. Colin Moran '86 Syncro GL "The Bronze Brick" 181,000 and still going