Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Apr 1997 10:39:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Christopher M. Smith" <csmith@sdsc.edu>
Subject:      Trans ?, No Rev, HELP needed!

Hello one & all;

My 86' Westy decided it doesn't like to shift into reverse anymore. I've only had this baby (my 1st water-cooled VW) for a few months, so I'm a bit apprehensive about making any diagnostic guesses as to it's current problem. With the engine on and the clutch pedal fully depressed, if I try to shift into reverse (normally) it grinds gears big time (so I let up trying to complete the shift). If I forcefully (=fast) shift it into reverse, it goes into gear with a big thunk! and will subsequently move in reverse no problem. With the engine off, I can easily shift into gear, and when I subsequently turn the vehicle on (with clutch depressed) and then release the clutch it moves in reverse no problem. The "reverse" happened all of a sudden (no obvious sounds or pattern of harder shifting). I've noticed no gradual grinding or problem with the tranny. I should also note that it is also difficult, but doable (without any gear grinding), to shift into any of the 4 forward gears.

I checked the the shift linkage (components in the box on the underside of the shifter) and connection to the transmission case at the other end. Nothing seems to be broken, worn, or out of place. So the problem seems to be in the tranny itself ?

Any comments, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've worked on many a VW in the past, but never a power-assisted, water cooled VW, and I've always shy'ed away from transmission work. Looks like I'm going to start. As with my other VW babies, I suppose I'd need to drop the engine for any internal tranny inspection/repairs. My Bentley and Haynes will provide a lot of help, unfortunately they don't tell much about what a worn "part" (a.k.a., gear) looks like or what subtle damage to look for (hairline cracks ... where most likely). Obvious worn gear teeth I can easily identify, it's the subtle stuff I'm concerned about.

Chris (San Diego) 86' Westy (currently having a tranny fit) 82' Vanagon (the "WorkHorse") 73' Squareback (original owner)