Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Apr 1997 14:14:09 -0400
From:         dberube@ncia.net (Donald Berube)
Subject:      Frugal Gas Pedal Cable Repair

Thought I'd share this experience:

My '86 Golf's accelerator pedal cable snapped from wear the other night. Without warning, I found myself stranded in a car with a gas pedal that didn't work! I was stuck on the road, it was late and I had to get home somehow... I opened the hood and started the car. I then took some duct tape and rolled it into a small "football". I placed the tiny football onto the fuel injector rod in such a way that it kept the engine revving at about 4000rpm... (My car is an automaatic and it was in "Park", of course!) I then closed the hood, got into the car, put the car into "Drive" and drove the rest of the way home at a comfortable 35mph... That got me home.

Next day, I went to get a replacement cable at the local parts store. I live in the White Monutains of New Hampshire, so there is not much in the way of last minute VW parts... I was anticipating buying a new cable and putting it in myself - a rather simple replacement.

I had to fix it that day as I had to be in Boston (three hours away) the next day at 8am...

No accelerator cable was to be found at any of the parts stores, including the local VW dealer!!! Best they could do was to get me a cable the next day afternoon - too late, as I had to work in Boston the next morning at 8am.

So, I went to the nearest bike shop and bought a 1/16" steel wound brake cable for $2. I then went to the hardware store and bought a cable nut with a screw inside of it that could be tightened onto the cable - making an excellent cable stop for the gas pedal. Cost: $ .49...

Within an hour, my gas pedal was fixed! Total cost of repair: $2.49!!!

I made it to work the next day in Boston, 15 minutes early :)

P.S.: I ordered a factory VW gas pedal cable "just to be safe"... Will install it once I get back to North Conway later this week...