Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         21 Apr 97 16:53:27 EDT
From:         Clark Carr <75716.763@CompuServe.COM>
Subject:      Anyone got a bike rack or towing hitch?

Arrghhh. (The universal sound for frustration) :<) What's the smart way to carry a couple of bikes or snowboards? No really, this is not so easy. I read the archives on the subject and it seems that there are two schools of thought:

1. You can buy a "bike rack" that attaches with straps to the rear hatch and bumper assembly. The clear advantage here is price; Something between $50 and $150 will get you going and from the sounds of it many who have chosen this option are pleased with it. For me however, there are a couple of big disadvantages. There is no way to lock the bikes/snowboards unless you ran a separate cable or chain. This would be a problem during the winter when it really is nicer to leave the equipment outside if your confined to living inside. Also there is no ready access to the rear hatch. This would be a problem for us during the summer when we frequently sleep with the rear hatch open. (with screen in place) We really like being able to use the hatch for ventilation even when we just stop for a while for lunch. (less time and effort then popping the top if you want to keep moving) The idea of de-installing the bikes from the rack, then the rack from the Westy when we arrive and doing the reverse as we depart seems really cumbersome and not about enjoying what we drove all that way to do. We never seem to stay in the same place for more than a day or two.

2. That brings us to the second option; I found a really cool bike rack made by a company called Rack N Loc. It not only will hold and securely lock up both bikes and boards but it has this way cool tilt down feature that lets it tilt out of the way of the hatch door and then tilt back up to lock in place. It comes equipped with a piston/spring like those used to hold the hatch open (this one is stronger) which makes lifting the bikes up and down a snap. Even better the local dealer will sell me the "only one left" $300 dollar unit for 50% off so I can get it for $150. :>)) The bad news is that it installs into a class three hitch. No problem you say? Well Dennis Haynes, known to the list, sells class three hitches for my '90 Westy for $250. (I have the euro bumpers) I'm not saying that they're not good quality or anything like that and I'm sure Dennis isn't going to retire on selling me a hitch but still if you add the two together I'm talking about spending $400 just to carry around my bikes. Just in case that sounded reasonable to anyone, let me repeat. $400 to carry bikes!

What I really need is my friends at the Vanagon list to come to my rescue again. How's about it? Has anyone got a used hitch or a new idea? It seems that a cheaper hitch or a really great idea that I haven't considered would do the trick. If you are in possession of either, please respond to this appeal from a fellow listee less I be forced to really make the fore mentioned choice.

On the brink it's hard not to want someone to pull you back. Thanks in advance.

-Clark