Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Apr 1997 19:05:18 +0000
From:         vwbus@netbiz.net
Subject:      Re: VW recall (exhaust/heat components) 82 Westi

> When I asked what parts are to be replaced, he went on about possible > PO"s repairs to the exhaust and heater systems. I guess that they will > replace original equipment HEATER DISTRIBUTION BOXES, FLEX HOSES, AND > HEAT EXCHANGERS, etc.

I recently faxed Mr Le Coz as well and am impressed as well. I don't really give a rats ass about asbestos but if I can get free heater boxes out of the deal I'm in for it. I note a few suprises, first that the '81 is entitled to much of anything as it has the red silicone seals on the bellows, BUT I've noticed that apparently some of the OEM exchangers have asbestos mats in their bottoms. Le Coz is very closed mouth about what will and will not be replaced. I'm going to run the "recall" on the '77, '78, and '81 at least. I also questioned him about the asbestos seals on my BA6, have not got a response on that yet. Frankly I'll go on record as saying the whole policy is somewhat ludicrous, because if the asbestos did get into the air stream it would be forever hoplessly entrenched in the corrugated paper tubing of the system downstream of the boxes and bellows, so if you're really searching for a solution to a largely imaginary asbestos problem, your difficulties are far deeper, if you are searching for new heater components all the more power to you. I figure this will net me enough sets of heat exchangers to keep the '77 in exchangers for life as I'm going to square port heads on the '78.

I wonder if the replacements will be German or Danish, should be interesting.

I also make another query, weren't some of the early flapper valves sealed with asbestos on the steel flapper, inquiring minds want to know and get their flapper boxes replaced as well.

John vwbus@netbiz.net