Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Apr 1997 11:08:54 -0700
From:         Redwood <redwood@speedlink.com>
Subject:      Re: Driving Lights?

At 05:35 AM 4/22/97 -0500, Tim Hannink wrote: >The Canadian version of daytime driving lights for 88-91's uses a normally closed relay to turn >off the low beam elements when you turn the brights on. It is wired with one side of the relay >coil to ground and the other side to the high beam indicator lamp circuit. The relay contacts >are connected to the low beam headlights on the fuse block terminal "M2" and to the 12V supply >where it comes in to the headlight switch. >VW of Canada confirmed that the only purpose of the daytime driving light relay is to keep from >having the low and high beams on at the same time. >I have wired my 91 up (temporarily) this way and it does work as advertised.

I need further enlightenment 8^). on US vehicles, do the low beams usually stay on at night when the high beams are used? My concern is that on my '87 Westi, the illumination provided by the headlights at night seems only marginally adequate as it is. I haven't really noticed how much better they are w/ the brights on. While I like the idea of daytime driving lights, have somewhat more concern about sacrificing any of the illumination now available.

I vaguely remember reading, when i first joined this list and didn't yet have a bus, some discussion suggesting that round headlights were brighter than square ones, and that swapping might be a solution. If i decide this is a priority, will have to check the archives.

Thanks for any info,

Gail

__________________________ Gail Fitzpatrick '87 GL Westi, 117k [Twiga] Sacramento, CA <redwood@speedlink.com>