Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Apr 1997 18:06:53 -0400
From:         "Forhan, Thomas" <Thomas.Forhan@mail.house.gov>
Subject:      Re: '65 Westy

Jim said:

>Thanks for all the thoughts about what we should do with our new to us '65. >Maybe someone could tell us what would have been the hot thing to do in >1965? Maybe a 009 distrib and better exhaust? Anyone out there able to >remember back to those days? Still would like to perk things up alittle.

Well, I hate to admit remembering, but....

Now, remember that in '65 you wouldn't be driving a '65, but want to boost up your 36 or 40 horse to "modern" performance. Best way to do it, and also very expensive, was to go to the VW dealer and have one of those factory new 1500 engines installed! The first bus I drove was a '61 Kombi with a fresh 1500, and it flew. So, for what was happening in 1965, you already have the hot setup. I'll second Clara and suggest you stick with it.

For the history books, the simpler add ons, in 1965 the things I remember were the plastic vent scoops, ala Hoover, which were a sign to the initiates that you had something powerful in that engine compartment, that needed the extra cooling. You know, hidding something like a 356 engine. The other item would be an EMPI extractor exhaust, not a sweet stock sound, but that is what people were doing....

Anyway, with that 1500 you are already perked up. Enjoy it :-).

Tom F.