Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Apr 1997 10:48:41 -0500 (EST)
From:         WSTFALIAVW@aol.com
Subject:      Re: EPA Abuse -- It gets worse !

>On Thu, 3 Apr 1997, Todd Francis wrote: >...They have applied the same rules for the disposal of 10,000 gallons of >100% ethanol (the "drinkable alcohol") to a pint of 100% ethanol >(generally used in a research lab). Obviously, you can't just dump 10,000 >gallons of alcohol down the drain without major environmental impact, but >there is little, if any environmental impact when a research lab pours a >pint of 100% ethanol down the sink with water mixed in to dilute it out....

The next time you want to cheer because some government organization cracked down on "big Bidness" think about this thread first. That pint of ethanol is insignificant to you, but multiplied by the thousands of individuals like you at hundreds of universities... you get the point. When "Big bidness" dumps 10,000 gallons you don't know if it was first diluted down to 5%. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. You just hear about how all those bad corporations are polluting the environment. Whats good for the goose...:( Smog laws, while asinine to apply to vehicles which constitute such a small percentage of the total vehicle population, are laws. If you don't like them, do something about it. It is funny how we don't seem to care until the taxman is at our door demanding money. Don't become an activist (I hate that word), become a good citizen. This group has as much voice as any other special interest group (shhh, thats a dirty word). If its broke, this system has a way for us to fix it. Or would we rather watch comets and complain? I apologize to those on the list who take their citizenship seriously. And having spent an hour last night enjoying the comet myself (is that thing spectacular or what?), I am not endicting astronomers or star gazers. I am not writing this to berate, but to inspire. California & New York are only the beginning of the nightmare for those of us who like older vehicles. It will spread. Eventhough the bulk of the pollution comes from poorly maintained newer vehicles (see the writings of Pat Bedard of Car & Driver on this subject. An unlikely source, He did a pretty thorough job on the topic), our lovingly maintained busses will be at the alter of sacrifice to the gods of instant gratification at the EPA and their State accomplices. Guard your children well my friends. I am keeping my powder dry.

Loafing till they pry the steering wheel from my cold hands (to steal a phrase) Joe