Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         30 May 97 10:50:00 -0700
From:         GILBERT_JEFF@Tandem.COM
Subject:      Leaking crank pully seal.

Greetings,

After having my newly aquired 87 westie syncro checked out yesterday, I was informed of a few problems... Some of which Im going to try to fix myself (this is a bold venture, as my greatest mechanical feat ever was to install a starter on an 82 toyota pickup).

Im taking the van in to have the air con fixed before my Bentley will get here, so Id like to know if I should have my mechanic fix some of these problems at that time, or if I should give em a shot myself when i get the manual.

1) Flush the power steering and clean the filter (I downloaded the instructions from the faq, think I can handle this one).

2. Engine oil drain plug is leaking - Guess Ill wait till i change the oil again and see if the bolt is stripped? Its barely leaking.

*****3. Crank pully seal is leaking - ??? will this be difficult? *****

4. Transmission leaking at left axle flange and shifter seal. The transaxle was replaced just prior to me buying the van, and its still under warrenty, so i think German Transaxle will honor that and pay for labor...all directions on the warrenty have been followed. i.e. correct oil, tires all the same, etc...

5. Small seapage of heads, also seaping into #4 plug, which sounds like a cracked cylander. I think Ill take my chances on this on till it goes, then put a new (subaru?) engine the sucker. I knew about the heads prior to buying the van, so no surprise here.

Peace,

Jeff