Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 May 1997 10:37:32 -0700
From:         Richard Angelini <richard@bally.com>
Subject:      Westy sink switch improve'd

One of my pet Westy (85) peeves has been the sink water faucet knob. Turning it on and off while trying to wash your hands or dishes is a messy pain. Lots of water gets wasted/splashed while slippery hands try come to grips with the circular knob. OK enough complaining time to solve this!!!

Ta-da... enter the "foot operated water faucet switch". A small foot switch plugs into a connector at the base of the sink cabinet. Its removable when not in use and the faucet knob still works too. Saves water and makes things mucho easier. Total cost less that $10. Total time 1.5 hours.

Parts List: * FLUSH MOUNT HORN BUTTON (Grand Auto or Pep Boys, in the electrical section Calterm part# 40192, $2.50

* ENCLOSED 1/4" PHONE JACK (Radio Shack part# 274-280 $2.50, its not a new style telephone jack, but the OLD style, you'll understand when you see em)

* RIGHT ANGLE MONO 1/4" PHONE PLUG (Radio Shack part# 274-266 $2.50, the right angle lets the plug sit flush with the cabinet face)

* 3' TWO CONDUCTOR WIRE (I used some thin 110 volt wire, white to match cabinet)

* 1" BOLT WASHER (any good hardware supply, its a BIG washer, 1"hole 2&1/2" dia used as a heavy base for the horn botton switch $0.55)

I connected the two conductor wire to the faucet power connector wire under the sink. Use 12V wire taps or similar to connect. The new wire runs inside the under sink cabinet to the 1/4" phone jack. I drilled a 5/16" hole under the cabinet door to mount the 1/4" jack (had to drill a partial 1" hole around 5/16" hole inside the cabinet so the jack body would fit). Once the phone/power jack is mounted its hardly noticable from the outside.

Use a short piece of two conductor wire to connect the horn button (now officially a "foot faucet switch") to the right angle phone plug. Attach the "foot faucet switch" to the large heavy washer with epoxy, tape or whatever you come up with (I carefully bent the switch mount feet and slipped them thru the washer hole, then bent them back and epoxy'd/taped the feet to the bottom of the washer.

Plug in the foot switch and *poof* your done. Its a "clean" modification and works great (water conserver too).

Richard - 85 Westy 118K

richard@bally.com