Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 May 1997 10:21:22 -0400
From:         kelphoto@mail.bright.net (mark keller)
Subject:      Travel Itinerary, Tire Info,and MSD

Dear List members,

Thank you for being a friend, during my short time on the list. I'm flying out to Seattle on Thursday, for my pre-move reconnoiter of the area, see my sis and friends, and generally celebrate. After I "git" the Vanagon tags and title stuff taken care of, I'm off to Miami, Fl on the 29th to pick up my baby at the junkyard.

It drives, so after a good preflight, and scouring the place for all of the parts request I received, I'm off to my dad's body shop in Houston, TX, for the surgical portion of my excursion. Lord willing, I'll have all the repairs done in a ten days or so time. Then drive back home to Orrville, OH to prepare for the move back to Seattle, when I don't exactly know, but as soon as practicable.

Meanwhile, I would appreciate any advice that seems pertinent to the above. I guess I'll just email everyone who asked about parts, or if the Repair shop/ junkyard guy is willing , give out his phone. Anyway, I also would like to know of some way to keep up on the traffic, but think that a months worth will be kinda steep to follow. Any ideas?

On the Multiple Static Discharge unit. I had one on my 72' 240z for, well it is still on it, so 17 years. I never came close to bending it much less breaking it; several long 15 hr highway runs, even with a 1800lb boat in tow, and the A/c blasting. Yup it's REAL hard-ware. After I had put around 150K on it, I sent it back to MSD Inc, and they completely rebuilt and updated the thing. IMHO they are amazing, and any racer of salt uses em religiously, and if I can get one on the Bus, and I can be very persistant, its high on my list. Mine was the street version MSD 5.

About tires. I once had a copy of a government issue report on tires. It was kinda a newsprint type booklet that listed all tires for sale,and their scores on the government test. I believe it included rolling resistance too. I checked the government sites last night, I believe that those folks in Pueblo, CO put it out, any way their site wouldn't respond, and I didn't save the URL. I got there by searching "government info", then I navigated to the Consumer Information site.

I believe this pub will be invaluable for all of our tire needs. BTW, after my article, its more than apparent that the right tire on our vanagons really really, makes a big difference. I don't know why a MXL was the factory's choice; my hunch is that everybody else was doin it, so the buying public wouldn't be skeptical of some other tire that may of been a better choice, but not real well known to us Stars and Stripes types, Maple leafs accepted of course.

Well that's it. If I don't get a better solution, I'll probably unsubscribe on Thursday until I return.

Mark, "America! Here I Come!" Keller 91' Carat, "The patient is ready Doc'ter"

P.S. Gordon Air Travel,got me a ticket for $240 round trip on TWA, 7 day advance, even though I'm not going back to my origination airport. Is this unbelievable or what!

PSS I am getting a AAA membership, with that 100 mile towing option-- ya never know!! Plus in the next 365 rotations, I'll be out there somewhere-- a bunch.