Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 May 1997 12:55:41 -0700
From:         mholser@Adobe.COM (Malcolm Holser)
Subject:      Re: unplug '86 idle stabilizer?

> I've been following the high and wandering idle thread(s) of late as I have > been suffering the same malady. After trying all the suggestions to no > avail, I finally unplugged the idle stabilizer today and, TADA! The idle is > steady at about 800 rpm, even in park and neutral! > > So my question is, is it ok to leave it unplugged? Will it affect anything? > Gas mileage, etc? Considering it's a >$200 part, that would be nice but it > seems all to easy a solution. > Well, it will affect some things -- you may have to set your idle up a bit, and if you have A/C or power steering, it may die when the compressor kicks in or when you hit the end of travel on the power steering. Since one of my busses has neither, I have not replaced the unit yet, but borrowed one from my other car for passing smog (I don't know if it needed this, though).

This unit was subject to a recall for '86 and '87's. The new part should be 251-907-393D, and if you have an earlier one, perhaps the dealer will give you the right one. Recall campaign was "PB" Date 870414, and this was a biggie -- replacing the fuel tank, the idle stabilizer, the ECU, some filters and hoses.

malcolm