Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 3 May 1997 07:00:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:         JCSYNCRO@aol.com
Subject:      Re: Handling differences of Camper/Van

I would think that in a "Camper/Van", you should probably give up any dreams of Porche-Like handling.... My trick is to set a few uncherished things on the cooking center top, when they start to slide and fall off, it warns me that I'm exceeding the design limits of Camper cornering.

In aviation terms, you are experiencing an uncoordinated turn and should apply more rudder. The things on the stove top replace the ball in you turn coordinator guage.

Since I haven't found the rudder yet, I installed KYB gas shocks in the rear, and new struts in the front with load range C small truck radials by Cooper : 205 R75 14, and I keep the pressure on the high side except in snow and Ice. I don't know if this is the correct set up, but in 32 years of driving VW Campers over 1 million miles, I've managed to keep the dirty side down.

However, I'll be watching the list to see if anyone has any secrets on the subject they might wish to share.

Curt Long 87 Syncro Westy 71 2017cc Camper