Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 May 1997 11:07:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:         KENYON FAIREY <kfairey@emily.oit.umass.edu>
Subject:      Re: Awnings

Carefree of Colorado manufactures both an awning and the proper mounting brackets for both Westies/Vanagons and Eurovans. I am in the process of installing my second one, and I have run into others who have the same awning and also LOVE it.

Although you can't really see it well, there is one picture up on one of my web pages that showes it extended. In all the other pictures you will see a slim case along the gutter - that's the awning.

http://www.oit.umass.edu/oit/people/kenyon.fairey/photos_greta.html

The pictures are small (I haven't taken the time to put the larger ones out there yet) but you get a sense of it - nice and discrete! In the same picture (Many Glacier Campground) you will notice an orange rain shield for the upper front. I designed this many years ago to keep the rain out (front from leaking in heavy/blowing rain). Just prior to our last trip I redesigned this to be more airodinamic. I hope to get the pattern posted at some point - It's really a great piece of gear!

Awning - mine cost $272, including the mounting brackets (that on 15% dsct) Its 8' long and is great in sunny or rainy situations. We used dark moskito netting as a drop on either side in extremely sunny conditions (they make additional pieces to do this but they are too expensive.) This awning takes 2 people to set up or take down.

A more expensive ($500 I think) model has the crank out device and can be done by one person - or cranked out partway. I was just too cheap for this model. And it is a bit larger and heavier in terms of case, etc.

These awnings are sold by many RV dealers/catalogues. I bought mine locally but several catalogues I receive also list them. I paid to have the first one installed, but am installing the second one myself. Only problem is that once mounted you need to drill holes through the inside awning case and the mounting brackets. I will take it in for that as I am not strong enough to punch through all that stuff. Also found that I had to change to shorter bolts to keep from scraping the rubber trim on the roof during opening/closing.

Good luck! We love ours - and wanted one for years before doing it. Would not want to be without one now.

Kenyon

-- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Kenyon Fairey, Re.D. Adjunct Assistant Professor Assistant Director Human Dimensions of Resource Management Office of Information Technologies Department of Forestry & Help Desk Services Wildlife Management - - - - - - - - - - - - - A 117, Lederle Graduate Research Center Internet -- KFairey@OIT.UMass.EDU University of Massachusetts Phone -- (413)-545-4366 Amherst, MA 01003 FAX -- (413)-545-3203