Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 May 1997 07:17:37 -0700
From:         "Matthew L. Dekker" <mdekker@eskimo.com>
Subject:      was - VW question (non-vanagon) - re: Golf

Topic No. 4

Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 13:59:54 -0400 >From: "Sidote, David [PRI]" <DSidote@prius.jnj.com> To: "'V@L list'" <vanagon@lenti> Subject: VW question (non-vanagon) Message-ID: <c=US%a=ATTMAIL%p=WWJJPRMD%l=RARUSRAEXS3-970521175954Z-40025@ncsusraexc1 .ncsusnam1>

Hi Folks,

My sister is thinking of getting a VW golf. Does anyone own one or have any experience with them? VW leasing? Thanks.

Hello Dave, (and everyone else)

I've had a VW Golf III since July of '93. It's red, with the 2.0 liter engine, automatic transmission, and 32k miles. While I am probably a certifiable VW nut, I did look at other cars with similar formats and prices: Subaru Imprezza and Legacy wagons, Ford Escort Wagon, Toyota Corolla Wagon, and the Saturn SW2.

At 6'2", most of the above just didn't fit right. The Escort just seemed like the product manager was being mean towards the low end market (cheap feel to everything tactile, noisy 88 hp engine, etc.).

In contrast, everything about the Golf fit me and feels solid. What really sold it is the infinitely variable seat adjustment. : ) Well, it did play a part, seems most other seat adjustment notches are on either side of "just right." While not as big as a Vanagon or Eurovan, the Golf's large rear hatch and folding seat have allowed me to carry some pretty large items like a boxed 27" TV and a 3x8' sheet of pegboard. (OK, the peg board was bent into a smooth arc and I had to drive home in a permanent duck.) Another minor point that might go unnoticed about the Golf vs. the others, is the larger doors on the Golf. They have a larger opening so ingress and egress are much easier, especially when loading a dynamic piece of cargo into a baby seat.

Over the past 3 1/2 years, it has had the fuel and water pumps replaced under warranty. They didn't break, they were just noisy. The best part about those replacements, is that I just asked the dealer (once) and they volunteered to replace them. Believe it or not, but that was not the selling dealer! Non-warranty items that have gone wrong are a piece for the power door locks, $125, and a thermostat, $50. In seeming contrast to the soft paint on the EVs, the Golf has not shown any signs of peeling, fading, or cracking.

If it weren't for my family growing and line of work changing, I'd like to keep the Golf forever. BTW, if you sister is in the Pacific Northwest, I'll probably be putting the Golf on the market soon, to make the plunge (finally!) into a Eurovan.

Hope this helps, Matt Dekker mdekker@eskimo.com

Dekker Service Website www.eskimo.com/~mdekker