Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 May 1997 07:45:37 -0400
From:         "Michael T. DeLessio" <delessio@sonalysts.com>
Subject:      Re: Pushrod tube fix

Tim,

>From what you have said, it sounds like I have an internal head gasket leak. I have had the van for about a month, and have never noticed any leakage. But when I took it to my mech. to have it checked out, he let it idle for a long period of time to check the radiator fan. This is when he noticed a small puddle under the overflow bottle, and a leak coming from the overflow bottle cap. I will try the tests that you have suggested and bleed and refill the radiator, but my real question is would a van with an internal leak be able to make a long road trip? The engine has high miles, and I plan on rebuilding it (talk about a learning curve) at the end of the summer. So I guess what I real trying to say is what can I do to make this engine last the summer (and for my trip!!)? I've heard that retorquing the heads might help. Any Ideas?

Case and 1/2 Mike D.

At 05:38 PM 5/22/97 -0300, you wrote: > >Hi, sorry but I deleted your fist post, what/where/how is the water leak? > >The vanagon has 2 kinds of head gasket leaks. The obvious one that drips in >your drive and can fail more and more rapidly after a decent warning period. >The fix is at least head teardown and new gaskets. In the realm of >experienced/equipped DIY, but just. If the aluminium heads have large >corrosion pits on/under the gasket sealing surface then you are looking at >'new' heads, about $1500-1700 job for both sides. Heads new are $550 each, >refurbed about $275-350, used $200. I've fixed mine using JBWeld epoxy, >definately not a VW sanctioned repair, but at $5/tube + gasket set + my >labour it was cheap. 4 years/75K kms and still dry (two vans/4 heads too!!) >There is a procedure in the archives, scan under my name or under Dan Houg. >His is a great write-up BTW. > >The other leak is internal, combustion gas into water jacket, which blows >coolant into the overflow tank. You can get the coolant checked for exhaust >Which fills and overflows to ground. When it's cooled it will suck back in >some/all of the water. Sneaky little leak. You slowly loose coolant, get >big airbubble in rad/heater core and overheat eventually. To check for this >fill the overflow bottle to proper level. Stick a piece of masking tape on >and mark with a pen. Then drive around whatever and check immediately upon >shutting off, mark level. Check again when completely cool. Do this for a >while to get an idea if there is a problem. Sneaky probs that hinder >diagnosis are faulty pressure relief cap on main reservoir and cracked >overflow and/or main reservoirs. > Quick check is to turn on front heater to max while driving and feel >defrost vs. floor heat (no fan on). This works best in winter natch. If >defrost heat is low/none then you have an airbubble. Follow the correct >coolant bleeding procedure, monitor levels and do this heat check to see if >the problem re-appears. A nastier manifestation of the airbubble prob is >that at higher RPM the water pump has enough pressure to compress the >airbubble up front (due to constriction in return flow due to pipes/crud/rad >clogs) This has the effect of lowering the coolant level in rear, the LED >comes on and the heat needle goes over the max. This causes local *high* >heat in engine, but rad stays cool (no flow) and the rad fan stays off. This >can lead to warped heads!!! > >Now..... BarsLeak rad sealer works for smaller leaks (drips) BUT you don't >want to seal the rad, just the engine/heads. Get it slightly warm and throw >in 1/2 the rad seal. Idle it until you feel the fat hoses get warm as the >thermostat opens. Let it cool for 15-20 mins then repeat, 2x more. This >keeps the sealer mostly in the engine. Then dump the coolant by pulling off >the lowest rad hose in the engine compartment, preferably by removing the >Allen head bolts in the water jacket between the pushrod tubes. Refill with >water, run and dump again. Then fill completely with water, bleed the rad. >and run it for a day or so looking for leaks. If you have some still you >can BarsLeak again, the jar holds enough for 2 treatments. When happy dump >and fill with antifreeze, run up to temp and adjust to get correct 50/50 mix >ratio. > >bye, Tim > > >