Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 24 May 1997 16:46:21 -0600
From:         Jay Fitzgerald <jayfitz@micron.net>
Subject:      Syncro - a love story

*Just delete this if you hate sappy accolades to machinery* I just returned from a week in southern Utah and want to report on my baby's performance. UNBELIEVABLE! The highlight was escaping Moab, a pleasant but POPULAR biking/recreational hub. Down in Canyonlands area, I bolted through a snow-melt swollen stream 2.5+ ft. deep (I waded it twice and de-rocked my line) to find a Ford F-250 around the bend stalled due to water in his ?motor. I asked the young bucks, cause I'm 37 now, if they needed any help but they just tried to look bored and said "Naw". Feeling completely Herculean, I climbed up Cottonwood Canyon to Cathedral Butte. The topo map showed my elevation to be 7000 ft and 1st gear was needed in the rougher switchbacks but the road is pretty washboard free this early in the season. I decided to scout an area that is described as a spectacular overlook but accessable by "a VERY rough FWD or HCV(high clearance vehicle) road." After scouting it on my mt. bike, one campsite proved to be truly one of the most stellar viewpoints I've found in nearly 20 yrs. of living in the Rocky Mts. I simply had to camp there. A little disclaimer here. I DETEST illegal, destructive, redneck four-weellin' and think violators licenses' should be suspended. This overlook road is legal but is indeed extremely rough. The main characteristic is sandstone 'shelving' left after much of the loose sand eroded away. To make a long story short, the compound low, or true 1st gear, enabled me to ease up and over the nastiness of these exposed 'shelves' with out scraping or bashing once. I enjoyed a completely mind-blowing sunset at this overlook with all my photo gear(even the kitchen sink) right there. Now I want a portable winch and air compressor to see how deep I can REALLY go! Jay (who's still amazed that a metal box w/ a motor and a bed in it seems like a spiritual thing) '87 Syncro westy now named "Ahnie"