Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 May 1997 18:06:10 -0700
From:         rdg51@sprynet.com
Subject:      Re: Eorovan Door latch stuck-Update plus synchro vanagon info

To all--sorry for the typos! An update: for those interested in this problem. The dealer says he can't fix it! He ordered a new latch ($70) and will try again, this time by trying to chisel off the mounting screws through the barely opened door. He THINKS this might cause some need for body repair! I believe the better way is to take off the inner door panel, which will probably need to be cut off, as the access to the mounting screws are on the edges, and can't be reached. This is preferable to me than doing body damage, which will probably be poorly repaired. Does anyone know of a good left door panel in gray for an EV? I'm sure the dealer price is at least $3-400. By taking off the opposite side first, maybe I can see if this will provide access to the affected area of the latch, at least that way if it can't be reached I won't have cut through the perfectly good door panel.

As I am new to the list, please allow me any errors in etiquitte. I love synchro Vanagons, having had an 87 which with ALL the usual problems kept us going for 115K miles before I sold it to buy the EV. If anyone is interested in my experiences with that car please post. Most notably, I got VOA to pay for the SECOND redo of my motor due to failed cylinder head seals at 96K miles. I have all the documentation on how I did this if anyone is interested.

Prior the the VANAGON, we had a type 2, 1974, with over 140K when we sold it. It took my wife and I cross country and back on several occaisons, up and down the east coast and from LA to Colorado and back several times. THOSE were the good old days.

I threaten to my wife that when I retire, I'm buying a SYNCHRO WESTY, and we will repeat the 10K oddessey we made in the summer of 1975, and then some!

Rob Greene