Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 May 1997 08:04:55 -0500
From:         "Thomas D. Hanlon" <hanran.inc@internetmci.com>
Subject:      Fwd: Re: VANAGON digest 1372 and the 3000 mile rotor question

-- [ From: * EMC.Ver #2.3 ] --

When I acquired my '84 Westy, I installed a Wells rotor and distributor cap, parts of a kit I purchased at my FLAPS. I paid not attention to brand, , nor to specifications other than the catalog reference the FLAPS salesperson specified. In hindsight, and upon further research, I determined that the rotor and the distributor cap kit was a generic for a wide variety of VW ( and other make) vehicles.

On St. Patrick's Day weekend, I posted a message on the list that I was stuck in San Francisco with a glowing catalytic converter and muffler combination and a "no-start" situation.

Roy Mathers, Charles Earl, Joel Walker and Kenneth Walker all responded with advice, counsel, suggestions and TLC for which I now thank them since I have been offline for a couple of months.

Their sophisticated suggestions of possible cause ranged from rich mixtures to stuck fuel injectors to blocked CAT or muffler to identification of best mechanics in SFO. All of their valuable opinions and "how to" offerings proved to be accurate and vital.

The cause was the cheap, loose specification rotor and distributor cap kit I had purchased. It "just didn't seem to seat," but I followed the old shade tree mechanic axiom, " If it don't fit, force it."

The rotor arced, the center post deteriorated and the FI sprayed gas, as usual, and the whole exhaust system reddened and sparkled. The engine continued to respond to the starter until the battery began to fail.

My son-in-law, the 2-super Porsch enthusiast, suggested that I, "check first things first." " Look at the distributor cap and the rotor, check spark plug wires, et cetera, et cetera.........."

I am back now in the gentle embrace of Bosch, knowing two things for certain: 1) Cheap parts are expensive. 2) First check the obvious.

A stupidly installed rotor can fail in a short time.

Tom Hanlon Palm Springs, CA ------- FORWARD, Original message follows -------