Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 May 1997 18:58:01 -0700
From:         Barbara Sutton <bsutton@gladstone.uoregon.edu>
Subject:      Rear Mudflaps

Hi everyone. I spent some time working in my Westie this weekend. Decided to stay home since every campground in Oregon will probably be overloaded on this Memorial Day weekend. On Saturday I installed the pair of mudflaps originally bought for my '66 splittie (for about $30 a pair,with hardware and a VW logo, it definitely beats the dealer's price for a Vanagon one).Took me all day, but looks great.(Did the two rear wheels). I custom-cut an aluminum flat bar to hold the rubber piece. I was happy to find a bracket that holds the rear fiberglass "apron" that 89-91's have. This piece is precisely in the right spot for a mudflap, so that took care of both outer supports. For the inner supports, I had to drill into the bar that holds the engine. I don't think this creates any structural problems, since the holes were pretty small, and the bar is thick. Not a very scientific explanation, I know... :) I am really happy with the end result, I wish I could post a picture. This is an excellent one-day project. All you need is a drill, a metal hand saw, nuts, washers and bolts (13 and 10 mm), a metal file(to smooth corners), a pair of mudflaps(of course...), and a metal bar for support. For the latter, I used aluminum because of weight, rust and flexibility issues. The key issue is to coordinate heights and angles in both sides. I'll be happy to explain more details to anyone that might consider doing it. Ciao, Cris. '91 Westie "Fafner" (now mudless in the rear and looking better and better) '66 Kombi (waiting for a new set of mudflaps...) '67 Deluxe