Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 3 May 1997 14:52:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:         mcleans@earthlink.net (Ed McLean)

In reference to my posting on "Overheating? Try these ideas. (long)" on 5/3/97, Victor Wong asked:

"Why do you think the engine runs cooler with lower oil level?"

I believe the engine runs cooler with lower oil level because of the reduced amount of oil subjected to the "windmilling" effect of oil on the outside of the rotating and reciprocating parts of the engine. The sheering effects of moving parts in a viscous liquid or heavy mist causes heating of that liquid. Racing engines (both wet and dry sump engines) are fitted with a windage tray to isolate the crankshaft from oil in the crankcase to prevent this effect. Also, in most automotive engines there is nothing rotating in the oil in the pan except the oil pump. In VW boxer engines I believe the camshaft gear is partially covered in crankcase oil. This pulls a tremendous amount of oil up out of the bottom of the crancase. The sheering effect of this gear in the oil is probably related to the depth of emersion. Also, the amount of oil flying around in the crankcase and up on the crankshaft gear is probably also related to the depth of coverage on this gear.

He also asked: "You'd think that our little engines could use the cooling and lubricating benefits of every last drop of oil possible."

The amount of oil in an engine's crankcase (providing there is enough to keep the oil pump from starving and enough to fill the crankcase to the level of the cooling fins on the outside of the pan, or crankcase in a boxer) generally does not have any effect on the cooling and lubrication of an engine. This is why racing engines use a dry sump setup. Even in the case of a dry sump engine, a large resevoir of oil will not reduce the oil temperature, although it might take an insignificantly longer time to reach a specific temperature. Now, if the cam gear is spinning in the oil, it is heating up the oil with some of the enerqy taken from the spinning of the rotating parts.

Now, I'm not an engineer and I've not done any exhaustive testing but I did measure the oil and water temperature at various locations on the engine by attaching thermocouples. I measured the temperature at:

1) the oil filter (to measure the temperature after the oil cooler and just before it enters the engine lubrication galleys; 2) the large coolant pipe feeding the water pump (water feeding the oil cooler); 3) the small coolant pipe leaving the oil cooler (water leaving the oil cooler; and, 4) I measured the oil in the crankcase using a VDO drain plug sensor and a VDO electric gauge.

It seems that with the oil level at the top of the dipstick range, the oil temperature directly related to engine speed once highway speeds are reached. When the oil level is near the bottom of the operating range on the dipstick, there is less correlation to engine speed and the temperature is much lower. It may be that the capacity of the oil cooler is able to handle the thermal load at the lower oil level. I did this experiment last summer but if anyone is interested I will try to repeat the measurments this summer to get some more accurate data.

Anyway, this is just what I think. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Ed McLean