Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 May 1997 22:23:37 -0700
From:         Mark McCulley <raven@halcyon.com>
Subject:      update on syncro coolant distribution unit

I think I finally have some resolution on the problem I've been having getting the proper coolant distribution unit part for my syncro (see description of problem below). Apparently VW has superceded the old part with a new part that has an extra hole in it that requires a plug. Camelback VW has tracked this down for me and is sending the plug (three pieces actually). I'll post the part numbers to the list as soon as I receive them. My guess is that they added the plug to facilitate draining the cooling system. Sounds like a bad idea to me--just something else to leak. The plug is not shown on the dealers' fiche and several other dealers and their service managers were not aware of this part change. Syncronauts beware--this piece does fail sometimes and will be probably be difficult to obtain on short order.

I recently said: >> I ordered a coolant distribution unit for my 87 syncro to have as a spare in >> my bag of tricks for the road. This is a plastic piece with four hose >> connections that sends coolant to the radiator and aux heat exchanger. It >> sits to the front of the passenger side head. The part I received (251 121 >> 442) has an extra opening that is not a hose connection. I think there must >> be a removeable plug that goes in there to allow coolant to be drained. I've >> talked to two dealers, including the dealer that sold me the part, Camelback >> VW, and they can't find this plug on their computers. Have any of you syncro >> owners replaced this part before? Did the new part include a plug or >> something for this "extra" hole?

-Mark McCulley 87 syncro Westfalia