Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 May 1997 02:28:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:         Taylrbc@aol.com
Subject:      Re: Noise, smoke, engine death, Quantum TD transplant soon

robertc@snowcrest.net writes > So, here is the question, what do I need to do in order to put a > Quantum TD into a Vanagon diesel?

>From my experience of using a '85 Quantum turbo, intake,and exhaust manifolds on my '83 camper, I would suggest the following would cover the significant points:

1.) Transfer your vanagon diesel oil pump pickup*, and oil pan to the td engine. Adapt or extend the turbo oil drain into the oil pan. I drilled a hole in my vanagon oil pan and put an angle fitting for this connection. The object is to allow gravity to drain the oil exit at the bottom of the turbo. You will probably also use your vanagon valve cover, and oil dipstick.

*I would try to use the td oil pump, with the vanagon pickup if possible.

2.) The turbo diesel boost enrichment attachement on the td injection pump will probably interfere with your engine cover. For the vanagon the factory solution was a different boost enrichment actuator than on the Quantum or Jetta models. Since it is diffiult to obtain in the U.S. you must either have a elevated engine cover to clear the boost enrichment actuator or you can run the td engine with your vanagon injection pump, which would reduce the td engines power.

I have been running mine for about two years with the vanagon inj pump, and the fuel delivery tweaked up a little to take advantage of the boost, but I have been thinking about finding a Td injection pump to get better fuel delivery control.

3.) You will need to get a muffler shop to fabricate from the turbo exit a "u" turn around the outside of the engine sound cover and connect to your existing vanagon muffler. I put a larger diameter system on at the same time but would not reccomend as it has been troublesome with getting a proper mounting that did not break muffler brackets.

4.) Air intake plumbing, I am not sure what the original Quantum TD pipes look like but I think you will have to make a combination of hoses to connect from the turbo inlet to your air filter. Since the vanagon diesel air filter won't work, you may be able to mount the Quantum air filter housing in place of the air intake elbow that leads up to the air vent on the driver's side of the car. I am using a round cannister type air filter with 90 deg elbows at each end.

One thing that I have found by experience is the engine intake noise is extreme without a long pipe going up to the air vent. Any back seat passengers will complain when driving @ 65 on the freeway.

Well thats what I remember as the most signifcant items. Based on my own experience, I think the improvement is worthwhile. Hope this helps. Brent