Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         28 May 97 08:06:00 -0700
From:         GILBERT_JEFF@Tandem.COM
Subject:      Syncro/Tires/Viscous..HELP!

Greetings,

I just purchased an 87 Westie syncro. At the time I bought it, I was aware of the problems that can arise with the viscous coupling, but after reading the archives from this list, Im getting paranoid! Can someone please help me with a tire question? Here's my gig:

One month before I bought the van, the owner had the 5-speed transaxle replaced, cost him like 4k. At the time the owner had 3 tires of the same brand and one different on the van..all of different tread. After the transaxle rebuild he drove the van around 1k miles before we met in Arizona for the sale. The first thing I did after I bought the van was get 4 new tires. Here's where I have the question. On the inside door there is a sticker stating what tires should be used and proper inflation:

Tire Inflation (front,rear) ______ __________________________ 185 R14C 40/48 205 R14C 36/43.5 205 70R1497R (??) 36/40

So apparently I have 15 inch rims on the van...the guy at the tire store suggested I use 205 75R15 (made by crestwood?). Well, I thought it was cool as long as I had 4 tires of the same tread/make so I went with them. Now I wonder how I know if these tires are ok for my van? The max inflation on the tires is 35 psi.... How do I know what the front/rear inflation ratio should be? Do I need new tires?

Learning the hard way,

jeff