Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 May 97 03:39:54 UT
From:         "Dennis Haynes" <dhaynes57@msn.com>
Subject:      RE: 91 Vanagon Auto Trans Repair Part 1

None of these parts explains why the transmission did not work. I do suggest you go to a local Trans shop and get the master overhaul kit. It will contain all the friction linings and seals including those for the final drive. I would also replace the second gear brake band and all the piston cups. The steel plates for the direct and reverse should be checked carefully. Do not mix up the friction linings for these, they are a slightly different thickness and not interchangeable. Also, consider getting a rebuilt torque converter from the Trans shop. You do not want all the junk in it getting into the newly rebuilt box. Above all, you must find the cause of failure so you do not have to do it twice. Also, when pressing in the two seals that separate the Trans and diff oils, make sure there is a space between them. This is needed so that any fluid that gets past a seal can drain out through that hole in the bottom. Otherwise, the two fluids will mix and mess up the works.

Good Luck, Dennis

-----Original Message----- >From: vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu On Behalf Of hanninkt@ix.netcom.com Sent: Monday, May 26, 1997 10:55 AM To: Multiple recipients of list Subject: 91 Vanagon Auto Trans Repair Part 1

I started out Saturday evening jacking the Carat as high as possible and removing the axle shafts. Sunday morning was spent removing the various linkages and bolts and dropping the transmission and differential. It went very smoothly. I built a transmission holder out of a 2x4 and a 2x8 that really made it easy to handle the 300 lb assembly underneath the van. Then I did a quick cleanup of the unit. I removed the torque convertor and siphoned all of the fluid out of it. Siphoned the fluid out of the transmission through the dipstick tube also. This morning I separated the transmission from the differential. I drained the gear oil out of the differential and removed the pan. I removed the axle flanges and turbine shaft. Then I went to the dealer to get parts. The following is a list of parts and dealer prices for the items that I picked up today.

Item Description VW Part Number Unit Price Differential Pan Gasket 080 507 215 $30.42 Turbine Shaft Seal Ring 087 323 559 $15.84 Torque Convertor Oil Seal 003 519 089D $19.14 Torque Convertor Bushing 003 323 611 $8.64 Axle Shaft Seal (2) 016 409 399B $5.94 Differential/Transmission O-ring 010 409 549B $5.85 Differential/Transmission Gasket 010 321 385B $2.50 Transmission Cooler O-rings (4) 089 409 069 $2.16

I also ordered some additonal parts and they should be in Thursday.

I will probably spend some time today redoing the CV joints and checking out the rear brakes. I intend to repack the rear wheel bearings while I have the Vanagon torn down this far.

The transmission should be in by Thursday. I should be able to get the Carat back on the road by Monday.

Happy Memorial Day

Tim Hannink Winter Park, Florida hanninkt@ix.netcom.com __ __ 1991 VANAGON Carat \ \ / / Pastel White \ \/ / 1975 TRANSPORTER __ \__/ __ Pastel White/ Station Wagon \ \ / \ / / Hawaiian Blue \ \/ /\ \/ / 1973 412 Sedan \__/ \__/ School Bus Yellow