Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 May 1997 23:29:14 -0700
From:         Rick Gordon <rickgo@halcyon.com>
Subject:      re: EV Transmission Preference

>Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 08:31:08 -0700 >From: "Matthew L. Dekker" <mdekker@eskimo.com> >To: "'vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu'" <vanagon@lenti> >Subject: EV Transmission Preference > >Could the T4/Eurovan/Caravelle owners on the list who have the 2.5 litre >engine let me know their preference for manual or automatic transmissions? >(especially in terms of derivability and service.) >

I think with the smaller engine the manual is preferable. Several quick gear changes to get up to 50, but you can control the shifting. (I've heard the automatic tends to "drift" a bit but I don't have personal experience there.) Engine cam has been tuned for this gearing so you get *relatively* good acceleration, but it's nice to have that 5th gear overdrive at 65+ speeds.

>IMHO, I like automatics, but maybe a manual transmission is the way to get >the most out of the available horsepower. >

Personally I think manual's are simpler, hence less of a maintenance issue, but automatics are built pretty strongly these days. And you don't have a clutch to replace. (But I've got over 90K on my Volvo clutch without replacement.)

Note that '97 model in the US has only automatic transmission.

> (And I have 16 gears on my Moulton ;{> ) Does it have an 8x2? I guess road bikes are up to 9x2 now, but I have mine setup 8x3 using mtb components. Gives me a real granny gear!

-rick

Rick Gordon Bainbridge Island, WA, USA ------------------------------------- rickgo@halcyon.com http://www.halcyon.com/rickgo/ KC7QEG finger for PGP public key fingerprint -------------------------------------