Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 May 1997 16:28:12 -0700
From:         Wes Johnson <wesj@callamer.com>
Subject:      Re: Rear hatch lock revisited

>Thank you to everybody who responded to my question yesterday regarding >the lock on my rear hatch. They were all very helpful. After reading all >the responses, I did some further investigation and have some follow-up >questions: > >My van is a '90 Westy with power door locks. I noticed if the front >doors are locked the key will unlock the rear hatch. If the front doors >are not locked I can't figure out how to open the rear hatch, key or no >key.

Don't think of this thing as a normal hatch lock. Basically, the lock or key slot has three positions

1. Horizontal--this position allows the rear hatch lock to be controlled by the front doors, ie front doors locked, hatch locked etc.

2. Vertical--this position releases the rear hatch lock from the control of the front doors.

3. 10-20 degrees to right of vertical--this position allows rear hatch to be unlocked regardless of other two positions.

If the front doors are unlocked and the key slot is horizontal and you cannot open the hatch by pushing in with your thumb, then you are having a malfunction. If the key slot is vertical, you need to insert the key turn it to the right about 10-20 degrees and push key in, hatch should open. If you push the key in and then turn right, it will not open the hatch.

---------------------------- Wes Johnson wesj@callamer.com

89 Westy GL 24 Gibson A0 ----------------------------