Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 May 1997 11:02:58 -0400
From:         Derek Drew <drew@interport.net>
Subject:      Spare parts in 2003

At 01:36 PM 5/30/97 UT, you wrote: >Hi Derek, > >now I realize why I din't hear from you for such a long time. I guessed you >were traveling around with your Westie. Sorry, for mixing up the email adress >and glad to hear you got it in the end.

For a variety of reasons, I sometimes do not get to my noncommercial (fun) email for up to a month after I receive it. If I am busy, and if the email is involved (fun or too interesting) then it can be even longer because I do not have time to compose a response. I wish I had more free time.

>I passed a lot of material around in the meantime to Tom Forhan, Ron Lussier, >John Babiak and Lloyd Allison in Australia. E.g. the lightweight article is on >the SW homepage now. Probably you would have wanted to add some of it to your >homepage too, sorry again that you didn't get it on time. > >>From my point of view, we should try to convince all syncro drivers to build >up a wordwide network for syncro information. > >This is the only way we can convince VW to carry on with spare-part supply. In >germany laws do exist, which say that spare parts have to be provided for the >following ten years after the specified model is abondoned. Unfortunately they >do not say at what price...

The big problem with spare part supply is mostly for the transmission pieces, right? Do we have reason to think that these should continue to be available from South Africa? It seems like the other two wheel drive pieces will always be available for a long time.

>I am not quite sure what will be after the year 2003. If there are enough >people interested, one could try to convince VW to release the tooling rights >for the special syncro parts or give them back to Steyr-Puch again.

You will propose this at that time and then SP will appoint you president of that division.