Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 May 1997 11:35:49 -0400
From:         "The Bus Depot" <list@busdepot.com>
Subject:      Putting Rocker Mouldings on Westy? (again)

> I bought a used set of side rocker panel mouldings off a '91 Vanagon, which > I plan to put on my '89 Westy. These are the plastic mouldings that > attach to the rockers and hang down a few inches below the body, found on > later-year Vanagons. > > My question is, were these mouldings originally used on any Westies, or > just on the multivan campers (without propane)? If they weren't originally > used on Westies, has anyone else put them on a Westy? I'm wondering whether > there will be enough clearance to fill the propane tank, or whether I'll > have to modify the drivers side moulding if I ever want to have propane > again. The reason for my confusion is that a customer stopped by with a > '91 Westy, and his did not have the mouldings. >

Just thought I'd give this one more go. Two people who have '90-91 Westies wrote me to say that they do not have rocker panel mouldings. But nobody seems to have actually tried putting the mouldings on a Westy. Will I be the first person on the list to do this?

If so, I'll let you all know whether I had to modify the one side for the propane tank or not. It looks like it will be very close. The mouldings do hang down a little bit, but may not hang down enough to block access to the filler valve. I may put the moulding on and then go to a propane place and see if they can get the nozzle to clear the moulding or not. If not, I'll probably notch the panel slightly.

If anyone has tried this before, please save me the hassle and let me know what you found.

Thanks, Ron Salmon The Bus Depot http://www.busdepot.com