Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 May 1997 09:57 -0600 (MDT)
From:         BLAINE_BACHMAN%PL-01M3@ccmail.plk.af.mil
Subject:      Re: Rear Fog Light (was:Backup light switch)

Can't tell you where the backup light switch is on the manual (though I suspect that in good VW tradition it is on the side of the gearbox).

Empty socket in tail light housing is for the near-standard equipment European rear FOG light (judging from the rental cars I've used in Germany, it's probably a required feature). I had my left light apart just last night and was looking at this. It uses a 32 candlepower bulb (same as the stop light or turn signal). There's a trace for it on the housing, but no contact for the tip of the bulb; I imagine it would be pretty easy to retrofit the contact, taking it from a "donor" housing. There's also a empty contact location on the plug and socket, but wiring would have to be installed; is this what the extra (grey w/green stripe wire in the main harness is for? Probably not.

I believe the right housing also has the same features, but typically only the left location is wired up on the Continent, probably to avoid being confused with brake lights.

This is a real cool feature if used properly. I once followed a Fiat through a dense Lombardian fog - I was able to keep a safe distance because of the other car's rear fog light - couldn't see his tail lights at all.

BTW, the blank on the instrument panel is for the two-position fog light switch to activate the rear as well as front fog lights (if installed). But of course you knew that.

-Blaine