Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 May 1997 20:12:23 PST
From:         kdlewis@juno.com (kenneth d lewis)
Subject:      Re: Oil on the rear window!!!

The problem I have with this is the owners manual states the top mark is a "max" reading not an overflow and the lower notch is a "min" mark not a normal level. The difference between max and min is one quart. When I change the oil and add the recommended 4.8 quarts the level is at the top mark.That means the lower mark equals 79% of capacity. That oil has to do the same amount of cooling and lubricating which means reduced life. It also states that "oil consumption is normal" and "immediately add oil if below min" so I conclude that running at a min level is rather risky business.VW has been making the flat four for a long time. I would think they know the minimum safe level. I believe VW has to fill out a US environmental impact statement concerning oil usage by the number of vehicles sold times the number of times a year that vehicles will change their oil. This is why they only recommend twice a year. To normal driving this would equate to 6000 miles! How often do you change yours? What I am trying to say is that if they thought it was safe to run at 3.8 quarts they would. Keep cool Ken Lewis

On Tue, 27 May 97 03:55:43 UT "Dennis Haynes" <dhaynes57@msn.com> writes: >The cam is lubricated properly from splash. There are no engines that > >submerge a camshaft intentionally. Too much windage causes heat build up and >foaming. Race engines run dry sump systems and actually keep the pan near >empty. Almost all engines have the dipsticks calibrated so that the full mark >is actually an overfull condition. This is to accommodate normal losses and >inattentive owners. Installing an oil temp and pressure gauge will show the >harmful effects of overfilling these engines. Not only do oil temps rise, but >watch the falling pressure as the oil gets aerated. You still need to find >the leak though. Check the breather mounting to the engine block and the hose >to the air inlet. > >Dennis >