Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 31 May 1997 15:01:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:         Lon Herman <herman.40@osu.edu>
Subject:      Clutch Woes Need Advice

My 81 Westie clutch decided to hang-up yesterday.Heard a big "thunk," which sounded like the engine moving on loose mounts; the clutch will no longer fully disengage. I think there is sufficient travel in the arm of the clutch - when pedal is depressed, the external clutch lever will move to a horizontal orientation. No leaks noticeable in any hydraulics, nor is resevoir low at all. Pumping brake has no effect; it works fine. I had to limp home in lst gear yesterday, gingerly pulling shift lever into neutral and turning off engine when I had to stop. Starting involved putting shifter in lst year, then switching engine on - it would "power up" in lst gear, but wouldnt move out of 1st gear easily, so I didn't push it. Shifter goes into all gears, per usual, when engine is turned off. So I don't think I have a problem there. Clutch clearly drags when in gear and attempting to push clutch in while Van was "coasting" down hill with engine off (only a few yards). So what might I have on my hands? Do I need to remove the transmission and start poking around the clutch area? My tools are limited to the usual hand stuff and a vise - and most of the manuals recommend doing the job from underneath. Not really an option for So what do we think we've got going on here? BTW, clutch still "clutches" fine with

Please feel free to contact me direct E-mail, as I live in digest mode, and really could use some advice re: what's going on here.