Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 31 May 1997 23:02:44 +0000
From:         Scott Maurer <smaur@worldnet.att.net>
Subject:      Re: electrical woes

This was it. I had a corroded/broken ground connector at this cluster caused by a previous windshield leak. I also had a broken circuit copper trace on the instrument panel.

A little solder and connectors did the trick!

Thanks,

Scott Maurer 84' Vanagon Portland, OR

At 01:51 AM 5/27/97 +0000, you wrote: >Check/clean ground clusters behind the fuse box. They are susceptible to >windshield leakage. >Good Luck >Ken Lewis > >On Mon, 26 May 1997 13:16:48 -0500 Scott Maurer ><smaur@postoffice.worldnet.att.net> writes: >>I had an intermittant failure of the three instrument panel lights >>that come >>on with the headlight switch when I bought my 84' Vanagon last Dec. >>I'd >>turn on the lights and the instrument panel lights might have come on >>minutes later. They seemed to fix themselves and lighted for a few >>months. >>Then after removing the radio, the instrument panel lights were gone >>again. >>I found and bypassed a torn copper trace on the instrument panel where >>the >>14 point wire connector mates. Then the instrument panel lighted with >>ignition key off and the headlight switch on. However, with the van >>running, no instrument panel lights, no turn signals, no windshield >>wipers. >>I turned off the ignition key and everything worked. >> >>I tried disconnecting my repairs (including a disconnected wire to the >>right >>heater blower dashboard light and the auto transmission position >>light), and >>have no instrument panel lights, no turn signals, no windshield >>wipers. >>Also, now the blue highbeam indicator light is always on when the >>ignition >>key is on. >> >>Are there any places where the electrical system is vulnerable to wear >>and >>shorting out? >>Any ideas on how to troubleshoot? >> >>Thanks!