Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 May 1997 21:03:21 -0700
From:         Rick Gordon <rickgo@halcyon.com>
Subject:      re: Considering 1997 EuroVan Camper...

>Date: Sun, 04 May 1997 11:54:38 -0500 >From: David Dimbert <dimbertd@planetdata.com> >To: vanagon@lenti >Subject: Considering 1997 EuroVan Camper... >Message-ID: <336CBF4E.75A@planetdata.com> > > > >I am very seriously considering the purchase of a brand-new Eurovan >Camper (1997 model year). > >This is not a trivial decision (sticker price = $35,000.00), so I am >curious to know if anyone has firsthand experience purchasing or owning >one of these stylish new busmobiles. > >If you do, please share your knowledge. > >How much did you pay for the bus? (I never paid full sticker price for a >car before; I don't know if the dealer will expect me to for this one). >

Well, let's just say they weren't getting list price in December '95 when I bought mine. High 20's has been the going rate for '95s around here, but I don't know what they're actually getting for the '97. I've seen used '95s in the paper for mid 20's - say $26K.

Remember there are two manufacturers making a profit on the van. VW dealer price is probably 80% (based on other VW comparisons) but I have no idea what the Winnebago markup is. Try knocking off 15% and see how hard they push back.

>Do you have a 5 or 6 cylinder engine (The 1997 has a 6-cylinder)? Do you >like it? Does it run too hot in the summer? Too cold in the winter? >

'95 has a 5 cyl, '97 has a 6 cyl. Forget all that stuff about it running too hot in summer & cold in winter - this is water-cooled land! The 5 cylinder is more than adequate for the van, the 6 cylinder must really show its stuff in the mountains - perhaps also in 0-60 times.

>How's the heat? (We're expecting it to do double-duty as a carpooler). >

>How's the A/C? (And the kids don't like to be too hot). >

There have been complaints (well, one actually) about the rear heating under extreme conditions in Canadian Mtns. This was on a '95 - which doesn't have heat or A/C ducts in the back. The '97 model does have a heat duct, just behind the passenger seat. If you bought a '95 you might want to make sure there's a blanket in the back - locally temps in the 30's haven't bothered passengers in mine.

I drove my '95 across Eastern BC and Eastern Washington last summer in >100F temps - the A/C worked great! (So well in fact that I drove for 14 hours rather than get out and do anything in that heat!)

>Any surprises (good or bad) associated with the bus? > Just make sure that everything in the camper works before you drive it off the lot, if you're buying one new. Winnebago quality control seems to be less than perfect - but everything is covered under 2 yr warranty. It just makes it simpler if you show it doesn't work and get a service order written then and there - they're also more expedient in fixing those problems sometimes!

Oh, and make sure you have a dealer who's willing/able to work on the Camper components. If not, you'll be visiting a Winnebago place and most of them have never seen these critters.

>Any thoughts (via the list or by direct mail) are appreciated. >

>Thanks in advance. > >PS - It's finally sunny here. I'll shoot some pictures of my 1967 Combi >(which is for sale) and get them up this week. Watch the Type 2 list (or >send me email) for details.

It drives a lot differently than a bus/vanagon - longer wheelbase plus you're not sitting right over the wheels. Can't see the bumper anymore which makes one unsure how close something is to the front. It's pretty decadent too, you may get spoiled in a hurry - good thing you're selling that '67. (If you were any close I'd be interested in the '67 -I always wanted one of those!)

Rick Gordon Bainbridge Island, WA, USA ------------------------------------- rickgo@halcyon.com http://www.halcyon.com/rickgo/ KC7QEG finger for PGP public key fingerprint -------------------------------------