Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 May 1997 20:30:56 -0400
From:         "Charles Michaux." <cmichaux@carolinanet.com>
Subject:      Re: ? alt theories to blowing smoke

Derrek,

White smoke sounds like head gaskets to me. About $1,000 to $1,500 to have done or you can do them yourself.

Charles Michaux '91 Westy (42K)

---------- > From: Derrek Wittmann <dwittman@ctc.ctc.edu> > To: Multiple recipients of list <vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu> > Subject: ? alt theories to blowing smoke > Date: Tuesday, May 06, 1997 9:43 PM > > Hello > I bought my syncro ,a month or two ago, with a blown motor. I am > still thinking about putting a Subaru engine in it, but I have been playing > around with it,starting it up driving it around a little. If I baby it, it > only smokes a little, but if I the engine revs over 2000 RPM under load it > starts blowing dence clouds white of smoke out of the tail pipe. Besides > this one anoying habit the engine sounds really good(no rod or main bearing > knock) solid like it has been taken care of . The owner told me that it > got oil changes/3000miles and the miles he put on were freeway miles 70-80 a > day. The person that I bought the van for had it checked out. The shop > told him that the rings were blown.When the engine first started pumping out > the smoke he was driving down the freeway and noticed the clouds of smoke > behind him. The PO said the water temp was fine and plenty of oil. > > How can I verify the shops diagnosis? > > I tryed to do a compression test but the neck of my tester was not long enough. > Would a lesk down do it? I would have to rent or by the tool. > > I thought about trying to look at the cylinder with an endoscope but I don't > have one. > > What if any other possible explanations for that much smoke? > > > How much a of a pain is it to put new pistons and cylinders? > > Has this happened to anyone else? > > How could I verify wether or not it ran out of oil? > > Thanks for your input. > -- Derrek Wittmann