Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 May 1997 22:40:55 -400
From:         "Bill Kenneke" <kenneke@bmd.clis.com>
Subject:      Parked Vanagon

Kyle,

I too have a parked Vanagon, about 75% of the last two years (look for the novelette to be published on the list).

The first thing I replaced with similar symptons was the fuel pump. I do NOT think I needed to. Even after I repaced it and it still wouldn't run right, the VW dealer said I need to replace the fuel pump for $320! "It's making a heck of a racket" Turns out it was screaming because it wasn't getting any fuel to pump due to a clogged gas tank. I'll try not to ramble but the following are some suggested troubleshooting tips:

1. Check for good flow out of the gas tank. (My first tank was full of gunk, the "reman" replacement was clogged at the outlet). Take the gas cap off, take the line off the tank outlet and see if you can drain a gallon or so out into a tank (you can reuse it). If you don't get good flow, try attaching some spare line to the outlet and blow into it you may feel a clog break loose.

2. Do a fuel flow volume test. Unplug the return line from the pressure regulator by the distributor. Attach some spare fuel line to the regulator and crank the engine. You should get about .5 L in 30 sec.

3. Check for blocked fuel lines or injectors.

4. Check for vacuum leaks. You can get a vacuum gauge for less than $20. If not, it should be easy for a mechanic to check and (if its not the distributor vacuum advance like mine) could be a cheap fix.

5. Check the throttle idle cutoff switch.

I can't think of anything else right now. If you can't resist buying a new fuel pump, Advance Auto sold me one for $160 with a lifetime warranty. Good luck. Bill Kenneke kenneke@clis.com