Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 May 1997 05:39:18 -0400
From:         kelphoto@mail.bright.net (mark keller)
Subject:      Re: transmission whoes

>I am also in the final stages of purchasing a vanagon. So I haven't seen >it all, I would look at these three net sites to get an idea of your >"deal". http://www.traderonline.com/auto/search/index.shtml and >http://www.traderonline.com/rv/. Two are for autotrader's on line search >engine which covers their national data base. The first is for cars and >the second is for RV. Dependending on your year their are usually a 100 >or so 81 -91 vanagons and 5-10 westys on the list. Also Edmund's URL >http://edmunds.com/edweb/used/Volkswagen/1990/VolkswagenVanagon1990.html, >will get you some price figures on your toy. I too have been scared by all >of the coolant system comments,and the Aerostar was my number 2 choice. >Bottom line for me is I have got to get this out of my system. I have been >wanting a vanagon for seven years. I hope this gets you down the road a >little more.

finally got all my paperwork done. the bank loaned me a whopping 8k to >buy my 89 westie. I put down 1100.00 and just ordered a set of yokohama >y370s (~$385.00 mounted and stems and tax) from sears. needless to say I >am out of toy spending money.!! The dealer I bought the van from just >spend ~$300.00 on a new clutch master and slave cylinder for the >transmission and a new thermostat housing and coolant change on the >vehicle.. the kids are whinning (when are we going to see grandma in >the new van) and now the coupe de grace..transmission is grinding from >2nd to 3rd the mech says its a synch gear..cost to fix ~$1200.00 >(picture of crash and burn) from searching the archives and reading >horror stories on "hiccups" and motor overheating and head jobs and the >fact that special tools are neede to do this work aaannndd my local vw >dealer says his mech has never done this before,is causing serious >friction with my murphies law wife (also known as "you got took" >yvonne)I have done all the paperwork gotten the money, but have not >taken delivery because the dealer is willing to work with me on the cost >of repair...should I just save my money and get an Aerostar? > >desperate >89 westie hopeful