Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 07 May 1997 02:35:30 EDT
From:         busboys1@juno.com (Bus Boys)
Subject:      Re: 1.9L cracked heads

I have had virtually no problems with my AMC heads on my 80 Vanagon since installing them about 20K ago, but I did something that I always do with new heads - I remove and hand-lap the valves in to insure they are matched with the seats. Some AMC heads have been poorly put together in my judgement and I always pass this info to customers purchasing them. Some customers have reported back saying that what I told them was very good info and that hand-lapping definitely improved the valve and seat match. Time and mileage will tell however as I haven't heard back from any customer purchasing the AMC Type 4 or Wasser heads with a problem in the past year or so.

However, I do agree with Ron that even now I get REAL hesitant to supply these heads, especially after taking a double-nickel tour through AVP about two weeks ago. Leonard was very thorough in pointing out the deficiencies on AMC verses a proper rebuild. I am upgrading my 84 Westy to a 2.1 and recently purchased a set of remanufactured 2.1 heads to complete the project. In my opinion and FWIW, this guy knows his stuff when it comes to Wasser Heads. In addition to the "minute" cracks between the seats, another seldom known problem area is where the casting numbers and stampings are on the outside. Very thin metal (water jacket behind) in these areas and if they crack, the heads are junk and he tosses them. Ones that aren't cracked in this area, he really builds up additional strengthening by welding a higher "boss" area. Looked at the production/welding area that was being done on these heads and was impressed by the depth he cuts the head between the seats area to re-weld and does a very impressive job of welding up the pitted area as well - very professional. Has 3 Bridgeport machines set up just to re-machine in 3 steps the mating areas to exacting tolerances that I don't believe you will find in a mass - producer like GEX (I've been to GEX many times over the past 20 years - like night and day in some respects). Above all, the place is clean enough to eat off the floor too. Love the great service, because he tries to take the time to carefully explain what should have been done, what actually was done, what's being done and what you as the customer needs to do when replacing the head. A real small, but nice place to do business with.

The usual disclaimers, no vested interest, etc....

Jim BusBoys1@juno.com http://www.bus-boys.com